Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Let's Talk about Pots


I probably need to shop for a couple more pots this year and so I'm thinking about what to look for. When it comes to containers, you are only limited by your imagination. If you can provide drainage and it can hold soil and water, you can probably plant in it. But aesthetics is another thing altogether. In my dreams, I own a handmade terra cotta pot from Impruneta, Italy but for now, there are beautiful terra cotta containers to be found at much more reasonable prices. Keep in mind they are heavy, not frost proof, and will break if you're the clumsy type. As an alternative, consider the many lightweight pots made of composite materials that can be found at nearly every big box store. They weigh next to nothing and they are designed with faux finishes that are very attractive. I keep mine outside all year long. Other ideas: whiskey barrels, crates, wooden wine boxes that you get when you buy wine by the case, metal tubs.

Here's the thing: drainage is essential. If there are no holes at the bottom of the pot, you are setting yourself up for major disappointment. So if the container doesn't already have them, you have to drill them yourself after being certain that you won't seriously compromise the support that the pot provides. Having said all that, I've added a photo showing the drilling of holes in a plastic pot that I got for a steal at our local warehouse store. Admittedly, I'm not at my sartorial best, but that's beside the point.

No comments: