Sunday, December 28, 2008

Better Late Than Never

I am way late planting my outdoor bulbs. Travel and holidays sort of threw me off my intended schedule. However, it's been my experience that bulbs are very forgiving. I'll have to wait until late March/early April to find out if that's true with the bulb choices I made this year.

Anyway, I planted two types of bulbs in one pot. I did my usual filling of the pot with styrofoam popcorn for drainage and then adding a few inches of soil. Typically, bulbs need to be planted at a depth that is 3x their size. So first, I put in about a dozen Tazetta Narcissus Geranium (the large bulb shown in the photo below). Then I added more soil, and planted about ten Tulip Turkestanica (see second photo below). The nice thing about bulbs is you can plant in layers like that. It's a great way of creating a mixed planting.





I topped it all off with more soil and I will just make sure the soil remains damp throughout the winter. Bulbs really are the ultimate in low maintenance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

can't wait to see this in March/April. I also planted some hyacinth in the container hopefully they'll turn out ok. Just curious how big is your pot? It's hard to tell from the picture.

Miriam said...

Louise:

Great to hear from you. Hope you had a nice holiday. That pot is about 12 inches in diameter and about 9 inches in height. I'm crossing my fingers....

Good luck with your hyacinth--I love that flower, especially the fragrance.

Happy New Year!
--Miriam

Anonymous said...

Hi Miriam,

I hope you had a joyous Christmas. All the very best for the New Year! I have really enjoyed reading your blogs, and I look forward to more exciting blog-reading next year - also, some new pictures of you would be nice (hidden in the foliage wearing who knows what?!?!?!)