Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Tasty Trio

It's year number three for this plant and it's finally producing fruit, albeit in small quantities. But boy, is it tasty. This strawberry plant is called "Mara des Bois" and I bought it from White Flower Farm a few years ago foolishly thinking it would produce a bumper crop of strawberries the first year. It didn't. In fact, I don't think I got a single one. I figured it was just one of my gardening experiments that didn't work out. But in March of last year, I saw foliage emerging and was surprised to see it return. I did get some berries--maybe about 7 over the course of the entire summer. This year it's back again and so far I've gotten about 8 or 9 and I hope that's a promise of many more to come.

My Internet research taught me that "Mara des Bois" is quite well known in French circles which would explain why I know nothing about it. What I do know is that it is a beautiful strawberry in every way: size, shape, color and, most importantly, taste. Whatever my plant yields this year, I'll be thankful for it. In my opinion, this is what a strawberry is supposed to be.


No comments: