Sunday, May 29, 2011

Endless Summer: One Can Hope

Hydrangea "Endless Summer"
This is Hydrangea "Endless Summer"--it's a mophead hydrangea.  I already have a hydrangea but it's an Oakleaf and its shape and bloom is much different.  I planted Endless Summer last year and was disappointed because it didn't come anywhere close to living up to its name.  Well, this year may be the start of something really good.  It's already blooming like crazy and it's three times the size it was last year.  My patience (and a huge container) seem to be paying off.

I did some basic research on hydrangeas--I'll get into more of that in a later post.  Most of it has to do with how and when to prune them so that's not so much a concern this early in the season.  I will also report back on a little experiment I'm doing to try to change the color of the blooms.  Stay tuned for that. 

For now, just know that Endless Summer is supposed to bloom reliably from June to September.  It's hardy to zone 4 and grows 3 to 5 feet high.  It likes part to full sun.  The farther north you are, the more sun exposure you can allow. 

This weekend marks the unofficial start of summer--if only it could be endless.

Bookshelf:  Container Gardening Books

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Miriam

Nice Hydrangeas. Sometimes I see Hydrangeas that bloom in different colors. I was wondering which type of Hydrangea produces the light blue blooms?

gm1230