Sunday, October 2, 2011

Blades of Grass


Variety is what makes a garden interesting.  I love having different types of grasses in my container garden.  I have one container with Purple Fountain Grass, another with Karl Foerster Feather Reed Grass, and an iron urn planted with this--Hakonechloa.  I've had this plant in the same urn for about 4 years.  It's a native of Japan and is perennial to zone 5 so I've been able to rely on its return every year.  It gets full morning sun in my garden which brings out the golden color of the blades.  It grows to about 18" tall and has a cascading habit that is wonderful, but it gets even better when a breeze comes through. 

Who says you need to have flowers in a container garden?  I could see getting a few different grasses (or even several of the same type), planting them in fantastic containers, strategically positioning them on your deck or having them flank your front entry, and then calling it a day. 

Bookshelf:  Container Gardening Books

No comments: