Sunday, June 17, 2012

Summer Visitors


Visiting ladybug
 Some garden visitors are welcome and others are not.  Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.  Ladybugs, all cute and nonthreatening, are always welcome.  Plus, they do an especially good job of taking care of aphids which can destroy a plant in no time flat.  So definitely leave the ladybugs alone and let them do their thing.  What about spiders?  Well, there's nothing cute about them at all, but when I see a web, I take special care to leave it alone.  That web is a sign that there's a barrier between my healthy plants and the annoying pests that seek to destroy them.  I've mentioned before that I avoid all chemical fertilizers and pesticides in my container garden primarily because we eat many of the things I grow.  But it's also been cool to see how nature works to solve a problem so that it does not get out of hand. 
Ladybug found home in Penstemon "Husker Red"


Web between carrots and hydrangea


No comments: