Sunday, July 5, 2009

Partial to Purple

Themes have never been my thing when planting my container garden. I don't try very hard to coordinate colors because I figure, if it's found in nature, it must go together. Besides, why complicate something that's really supposed to be simple? But I do seem to naturally gravitate towards certain things. Like lime green foliage (Creeping Jenny). And things that climb (Mandevilla). And purple blooms. Shown here are two of my favorite annuals: Angelonia and Scaevola. Sure they come in different colors--pretty ones too. But I always end up with some variation of purple.

The scaevola tends to sprawl and spill over. The angelonia grows upright to about 9 inches or so. Both plants bloom like crazy all summer long and require no, I repeat, no maintenance. You can't ask for much more than that.


1 comment:

Swimray said...

I agree with you on the color thing - anything goes together except yellow daffodils with magenta/pink tulips.