Saturday, April 21, 2012

First Rose to Bloom

Rose Perle d'Or
All of my roses are covered in buds just waiting to put on their spring show.  This is a closeup of Perle d'Or.  I think I've had it for about 4 years.  Depending on the time of day and the stage of bloom, it can look more orange or more pink. It's a repeat bloomer, is hardy to zone 5, and grows 3-4 feet high.  I have it in a pot that is 19" square and 15" high.  It shares that space with Heuchera Coral Bells, Beardtongue "Husker Red", Rosemary, and Creeping Jenny.

I ordered Perle online from Antique Rose Emporium and I currently have about 5 different roses from them--all in containers (of course), and all of which have bloomed reliably every year.  The company takes orders up until mid-May so there's not much time left.  All roses are $18.95 (plus shipping) and you can search on different categories such as shrubs, climbers, cold hardy, and nearly thorn-free.  The roses ship as plants (not bareroot) in 2-gallon containers.

Bookshelf:  Container Gardening Books

No comments: