Sunday, April 15, 2012

How Do You Like Your Lilac?

Syringa (Lilac) Bloomerang
This is Syringa (Lilac) Bloomerang.  When it was introduced by Proven Winners (I'm sure you've seen their plant tags) a few years ago, there was a huge kerfuffle.  Bloomerang is a reblooming lilac.  What's that you say?  Yes, it's true--and it made some people mad.  There are the purists who look forward to lilac's bloom with great anticipation--and they appreciate it all the more because it is fleeting.  They believe that a reblooming lilac ruins what's so special about it in the first place.  Me, I'm not worried about violating some tenet of a hardcore horticulturalist.  The space in my container garden is at a premium and I can't afford to be so principled.  And yes, I have Hydrangea "Endless Summer" (though I also have traditional mophead) and "Knockout" roses (along side a couple of David Austins). 

Lilac buds

This is my lilac's 3rd season in my garden.  The first year, it didn't do much.  Last year it bloomed wonderfully but I did not deadhead the spent blooms so I never got repeat blooms.  This year I'll trim off the blooms and see if there really is truth in advertising. 

Bloomerang is hardy to zone 4, grows 4 to 5 feet tall, and likes full sun.  It's very fragrant and mildew resistant.  I have mine in a pot that is 18" high and 18" in diameter.


Lilac in bloom

As far as I'm concerned, Bloomerang can bloom as much and as often as it wants, for as long as it wants.  Who am I to argue?

No comments: