Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I Almost Forgot...

In my August 17th post, I promised I would talk about this plant. I discovered it when I was at the nursery a couple of weeks ago on the hunt for some replacements for an arrangement that was a casualty of our deck project. In my search for a trailing-type plant, I stumbled across this Ornamental Oregano "Kent Beauty". I never knew there was such a thing but upon finding it I wondered where it had been all of my gardening life. I mean to tell you this is unlike any oregano I have ever seen. Upon closer inspection of the label, I learned that it truly is ornamental in that it is typically not used for culinary purposes. That's okay because I have a pot of regular oregano for that.



"Kent Beauty" is hardy to zone 5 and like all herbs, appreciates full sun and good drainage. There are shades of purple in the leaves and it produces the tiniest of blooms (see below). I'm actually glad this oregano is for decorative purposes only because to tell you the truth, I wouldn't have the heart to cut it.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I love how they spill over the side of the pot. I grew an ornamental oregano once, but the samils ate it, and the variety I grew wasn't nearly as attractive as yours are.