Tuesday, August 12, 2008

What is a Weed?

It all depends on your point of view. Most gardeners will tell you that a weed is something that is growing where it is not wanted. Judging from what I've read about the invasive qualities of this plant, I can see why it is the bane of a gardener's existence. But I think in most cases, those voicing such strong objections to it are landscape gardeners. For a container gardener, it is a most excellent trailing plant (or spiller). It's called Variegated Ground Ivy, or Glechoma Hederacea 'Variegata' if you want to get all fancy and Latin about it.

This ivy is of the sage and mint family and is considered invasive which is what makes it more suitable for containers. I bought it strictly for foliage interest but I've heard it blooms in mid-summer. I looked up what it looks like in bloom and the flowers are so tiny as to be nearly invisible. Maybe mine bloomed after all and I never noticed.


Anyway, it's hardy to Zone 6 and likes full sun but will tolerate part shade. As always, allow for good drainage.


This is no weed as far as I'm concerned and it will be making a regular appearance in my garden.


No comments: