Saturday, August 9, 2008

Who's That Girl?

I'm a little late with my posts because I was in Colorado celebrating this girl's (my Mom) 70th birthday. Not bad, huh? Anyway, here she is posing with a nifty gift she received from her friend, Elaine. It is a telescopic shovel. When I first saw it, I thought, hmmm, this is cute, but I'm not sure how practical. And then with a quick turn of the handle, it became long enough to also use while standing. Since my mom does more gardening in the ground than in containers, it would be handy for her to use in tight spaces.

Meanwhile, back in Virginia, my plants survived well in my absence, thanks to my backup gardener's (read: husband) help. My fear is that my Lespedeza has become so rootbound that it will inhibit blooming this season so fingers crossed on that. The butterfly bushes are really starting bloom and I have more herbs than I know what to do with. Time to start researching how to preserve them for later use. I have one small pot of zinnias that bit the dust so I may do an easy and quick arrangement in that now empty container. It's no great tragedy because they had barely survived the time they spent in the garage when we were having the deck refinished. I'll post the new arrangement next time.


1 comment:

gflady said...

Hi -

When you figure out the best way to preserve your herbs, please post this information.

I would love to know what to do when the time comes.