Monday, September 15, 2008

Glorious Geranium

When I bought this geranium earlier this year, it was in a sad, pitiful state. I found it at the closeout sale of the little garden tent that comes every year to the parking lot of a nearby shopping center. At the end of June, they get ready to close up shop and mark down all of their plants to clear them out. This was in a most unappealing white plastic hanging basket so I brought it home, pulled it out of the basket and put it in a pot. It looked bad for a really long time but mid-August came around and suddenly it erupted in a riot of color and hasn't stopped blooming since. We're still having some pretty warm days here (a humid 97 degrees yesterday) so I'm glad I'll get to enjoy this and the rest of my garden for a while longer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a good looking geranium, it almost doesn't look like the geranium. Good job on bringing it back.
It's getting chilly in upstate NY, it's 65 here today. So my vegetables and flowers are slowly preparing for the cold weather.

Miriam said...

Hi Louise:

Sounds like the season is nearing its end for you. It's still pretty warm here but once it cools a bit more, I may plant some lettuce. How late can you grow it where you are?--Miriam

Anonymous said...

Hi Miriam, if I were to grow lettuce I think I should be able to grow it until early November if I'm lucky.

Karen said...

I think I'll include this color of geranium with my silver artesmia. Fantasizing about the combo almost makes me want to faint. Maybe, also, some black potato vine to peek and trail...