Friday, September 26, 2008

What's in a Name?

I almost didn't buy this plant because I didn't like its name: Wormwood. But its fancier name is Artemisia so that's how I always refer to it because it is so much easier on the ear. Plus, the common name does it no justice. I never would have associated it with a plant that has this beautiful silvery foliage that is sort of velvety in texture. And what I didn't realize until just a few minutes ago (because I didn't read the label as I should have) is that it is perennial to zone 5. This is both a good thing and a bad thing for me. The good thing is that it will come back next year but the bad thing is that just after one growing season, I'm going to have to divide it because it has gotten quite large. I wasn't really prepared for that so now I'll have to plan what I will do with the divisions.


I have this Artemisia planted in a huge pot with butterfly bush, rose 'Cecile Brunner', zinnia, coleus and a few other things. It is in a spot on my deck that gets full sun and it has not been bothered by pests of any kind. I also have it on good authority that this plant thrives in the desert southwest so for my friends in New Mexico, take note.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, it almost doesn't look it's coming from the same pot! Good job for making it look so healthy. The zinnias are just a nice addition to the arrangement.
Louise

Karen said...

Absolutely fabulous! Now I know what to do with one of my divisions next spring. You are so great...