Friday, May 2, 2008

The Arrival of Cecile Brunner


Three summers ago, I tried growing a rose in a container. It did fine that year but the following year, it was just weak and spindly. Unfortunately, it didn't make it. Perhaps I did not sufficiently protect the pot from the winter elements or maybe I didn't prune it properly, it could have been anything. I just figured that roses were way too fussy and I'm a pretty low-maintenance kind of gardener. So I was talking to my gardener friend Barbara and she asked me if I had heard about Antique Rose Emporium. I hadn't and I was all ears. It's a company that specializes in old roses, which is to say, roses that have stood the test of time and, more importantly, neglect. They can thrive in the poorest of conditions and are said to be exceedingly resistant to pests and typical rose ailments such as blackspot. Plus, they don't require excessive pruning. Well, this checked all my boxes so with the help of their knowledgeable staff, I ordered two.

The first is what I hope will be a successful climber. The second, Cecile Brunner, arrived today. As you can see, it was very carefully packaged and the box included the Emporium's informative catalog. If you want a rose that climbs, that's ideal for containers, that will grow 4 feet or 40 feet, that can withstand partial shade, that's extra cold hardy, it would appear that they've got the rose for you. Be advised, they only ship from mid-September to mid-May. Cecile Brunner is a shrub that will reach 4 feet and is supposed to bloom mid-spring until frost. My kind of plant. I'll keep you updated on the progress. I certainly hope this time around, I have more success.

1 comment:

My Chi said...

I'm so glad you liked Antique Rose Emporium! On a dull winter's day, I love to snuggle up with their catalog and dream of warmer, sunnier days in my garden.