Monday, May 5, 2008

Container Design Contest



I've been a long-time reader of Fine Gardening Magazine. No matter what type of gardener you are, you will find something in each issue that will teach you something new and inspire you to try something different. The gorgeous photography alone is enough to make you want to immediately start digging in the dirt.

For several years now, the magazine has conducted a container garden contest in which a theme is presented and readers are encouraged to send in their entries. Last year's theme was "Thrillers, Fillers and Spillers", a perfect formula by the way, to keep in mind when designing any container. The June 2008 issue presents the winner and finalists in that contest and I was fortunate to have one of my containers featured as one of the top 10 finalists. My objective was to show that all it takes is a little pot (mine was about 8 inches in diameter and equally as tall) and a few plants to have a terrific looking little garden. In this pot are one of each of the following (clockwise from top of pot): Pink Angelonia (thriller); 'Profusion Orange' Zinnia (filler); Golden Creeping Jenny (spiller); Variegated Sage (filler). I found them all at my local nursery but I bet you anything your area big box store stocks these plants.

The theme for the 2008 Container Design Challenge is "Create a Water Garden in a Pot". Details for entry can be found in Fine Gardening magazine or online.

This week I'll begin my big shopping for my garden. Let's see how well I stick to my budget.

4 comments:

Amy G said...

Mariam - I live across from your parents and your mom showed me your container in the "Fine Gardening" magazine. It's gorgeous. I do quite a bit of container/hanging basket planting myself and enjoy it so much. I have not checked out "Fine Gardening" so that will be fun to do. I love the Golden Creeping Jenny in your pot and will try it this year.

A friend of mine was just talking today about trying roses in a container so I'll be interested to see how yours do. Great blog. I'll be checking it out this growing season!

jamesd3rd said...

It looks like you're off to a good start here. I've told a few people about your blog and forwarded the link to them. Keep it up. I'll be checking regularly.

Unknown said...

HI!
Great job on your webpage/blog. I am impressed! Is it hard to do? By the way, I was at Miriam's house and the deck looks just like the pictures. This is the real deal folks! Suzette

gflady said...

I have a new space for a container garden and I'm new to gardening. You've already provided me with excellent information to get started. I'm looking forward to seeing what you purchased and how much on average each of your large containers costs.
Thanks for the information and beautiful pictures!